From the 1998 Town History: Another Georgia Jewel
On may 10, 1998 the Georgia Historical Society added a bit of history to our town when it purchased the old Gordon Mill site at Georgia Plains from third generation owner, Robin Pierce. Dating back to 1806 this mill has served many generations of Georgia people until 1943 when it burned to the ground. There have been many owners including Alvah Sabin, Georgia’s only politician who served in the U.S. Congress. The Historical Society is excited abou this jewel that offers so much. We even have dam rights and, who knows, maybe Gordon’s Pond will reappear where once there were bonfires, skating parties and even horse racing on the ice.
L. to R. Herm Schuster, Peter Mallett, Fran Moses, Dian Duranleau, Eli Schuster, Edmund Wilcox, Robin Pierce, David Juaire, Marilyn Pierce, Betty Vallee, Debra Lynn Pierce. Front: Susan Marie Pierce.
June 20, 1998
On this day the directors of the Georgia Historical Society cut brush and generally cleaned up the area at the Gordon Mill site, purchased in May from Robin Pierce.
L. to R. standing: Fran Moses, Dian Duranleau, David Juaire, Ken Minck, Oskar Gronaas, Edmund Wilcox. Kneeling: Peter Mallett, Herm Schuster
The Falls at Gordon’s Mill