Gazetteer of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
“The River Lamoille . . . is the principal stream. In the north-east part is a pond, covering thirty or forty acres. It is surrounded by high lands, except a narrow outlet to the north, and is bordered by a grove of alders. The mill privileges are numerous; there being no less than twelve. The settlement was commenced in 1784 and 1785, by Andrew Guilder, from Agremont, Mass., and William Farrand, from Bennington, Vt., with their families. During the two following years a great number of families, mostly from Bennington and the western parts of Massachusetts, moved into the town, and a considerable number of young men without families. The first settlers of Georgia had their share of those privations and hardships which are incident to the settlers of new townships. They at first had to go to Burlington and Plattsburg for their grinding, but the population increased so rapidly, that mills were soon erected.”
By O. S. BLISS
Georgia is the S. W. town in Franklin County. It has been successively in Bennington, Rutland, Addison, and Chittenden Counties. Several deeds on record speak of it as in Charlotte County, New York. Its area is 36 square miles; its form that of a trapezoid; the S. line, by Milton, 9 miles long and that by St. Albans 2 ½ long, being parallel. The E. line by Fairfax is about 8 miles long, and that upon Lake Champlain is fixed by the charter at 6 miles in a straight line from end to end. It was chartered by Gov. Benning WENTWORTH, Aug. 17, 1763, with all the privileges, reservations, and conditions common to the “New Hampshire Grants.”
In the autumn of 1773, Levi ALLEN, of Salisbury, Ct., bought the interests of most of the original grantees, his purchases amounting to over 50 of the 67 shares, — Heman ALLEN, Ethan ALLEN, and Remember BAKER, each at about the same time, or during the next year buying a small interest. Ira ALLEN subsequently became the principal proprietor, buying some part of Levi’s interest and all of Heman’s at private sale, but most of Levi’s at public sale for taxes. There are on record in the town clerk’s office over 90 deeds from Abraham IVES, a Rutland County collector, to Ira ALLEN, and at a later date, Caleb HENDERSON, a Chittenden County collector, deeded at one time 45 shares to Ira ALLEN. It is said that this last sale was permitted because of some irregularity in the IVES’ transaction, and to perfect the title; and, in proof of this, it is stated that at that time single lots were worth more than the 45 shares brought at public sale, although there was not wanting a goodly number of residents who had the means to make the purchase, had there been free and open competition.
The first proprietors’ meeting was held at Salisbury, Ct., the record of which is as follows:
“Salisbury, March 23d, 1774, — then the proprietors of the township of Georgia, a township lately granted under the great seal of the Province of New-hampshier, now in the Province of New-york, met according to a legal warning in the Connecticut Currant, at the dwelling-house of Capt. Sam’l MOOR, Inn-holder in Salisbury, in Litchfield County, and Colony of Connecticut, in New England.
1. Voted — that Heman ALLEN shall be moderator for this meeting.
2. Voted — that Ira ALLEN shall be proprietors’ clerk for said town.
3. Voted — that we will lay out said town, and that every proprietor or proprietors may, on his own cost and charges, lay out all his right or rights as soon as he or they shall think proper.
4. Voted — that the proprietors’ clerk shall record all deeds of sales and survey bills in this town in this book, when brought to hand, if paid a reasonable reward for the same and all survey bills shall stand good that are first recorded or received to record without regard to the date of said survey bills.
5. Voted — that this meeting be adjourned to Fortfradrick, in Colchester, on Onion River, to he held on the third of October next —
Test, I. ALLEN, Propr Clk.”
The meeting on the third of October, and one other adjourned meeting, were held and adjourned without transacting any business. At an adjourned meeting held May 1, 1775, it was voted to adjourn to the first Monday in Sept. next, of which meeting there is no record, and the succession seems to have been lost. The next record is as follows:
“From the Connecticut Courant, number eight hundred and twenty-nine — Tuesday, Dec. 12th, 1780.
“STATE OF VERMONT,”
Whereas, application hath been made to me the subscriber, by more than one-sixteenth part of the proprietors of the towns of Colchester, Essex, Jerico, Georgia, Swanton, and Highgate to warn said proprietors to meet at the dwelling-house of Brigadier General Ethan ALLEN in Sunderland on the. 31st day of Jany. next at two of the clock afternoon, there to transact the following business, viz:
1st, to choose a moderator; 2ly, a clerk; 31y, to make or establish such division of lands as may there be agreed upon, and to transact any other business that may be thought necessary.
“These are therefore to warn sd. proprietors respectively to meet at the time and place aforesaid for the purposes before mentioned.
Sunderland, Nov. 21st, 1780.
IRA ALLEN ASSISTANT
Sunderland, January 31st, 1801, —
The proprietors of Georgia being convened agreeable to the above warning in the Connecticut Courant, proceeded to business:
1st. Voted — That His Excellency, Thomas Chittenden, Esq. be moderator of this meeting.
2ly. Voted — That Col. Ira ALLEN be proprietors’ clerk of this town.
3ly. Voted — That Col. Ira ALLEN be treasurer of this town.
4ly. Voted — That we will examine the proceedings of the former proprietors’ meetings.
5ly. Voted — That on examining the former proceedings of the proprietors and considering the peculiar situation of the town, and New Hampshire grants being claimed by New York, expenses in defending, settling, &c., and the proceedings appearing consonant with the laws and usages of the government of New Hampshire and the proceedings of the people of the New Hampshire Grants before the late Revolution, we do therefore hereby ratify and confirm all the votes and proceedings of the several proprietors’ meetings as heretofore recorded in this book respecting the division of land, recording of survey bills, and every other matter and thing as fully and simply as though said proprietors’ meetings had been held under the present laws and customs of this State.
6ly. Voted — That the manner of proceeding in future to convene a proprietors meeting shall be by more than one-sixteenth part of the proprietors making application to the proprietors’ clerk, who is hereby authorized and directed to issue his warrant for that purpose, setting forth the time and place and several other matters and things to be acted upon, which warrant shall be inserted in the same newspaper or papers as now are or hereafter may be by law directed as legal notice for convening proprietors’ meetings, three weeks successively, the last time of which shall be at least twenty days before the convening of such meeting.
7ly. Voted — That this meeting be adjourned without day.
Test, I. ALLEN, Propr Clk.”
Thus ends the first book of records of meetings of the proprietors of Georgia. This book also contains records of 58 deeds mostly from original grantees to Levi ALLEN, Ethan ALLEN, Stephen KEYES, and Heman ALLEN. One deed from Remember BAKER, of Colchester, in the County of Charlotte and Province of New York to James EVERTS, of Guildford, in the County of New Haven and Colony of Connecticut, bearing date Nov. 7, 1774, is the only recorded evidence that the town had been surveyed or divided. The tract of land conveyed by this deed is thus described:
“Viz., two hundred acres in two different hundred acre lots and numbered as follows, forty-six and forty-seven. Beginning at a White ash pole, the northwest corner, marked 46, then east 20°, south 160 rods to a beech tree marked 46,” &c., &c.”
In a deed from “James CLAGHORN, Commissioner for the State of Vermont for confiscated estates, in the probate district of Rutland, in the County of Bennington,” to Paul DEWEY, reference is made to a deed from Remember BAKER to Caleb HENDERSON and to survey-bills “on record in the proprietors’ clerk’s office of the township of Georgia, in the County of Bennington,” &e., but there is no other existing evidence that such survey-bills were at any time on record or file in the said proprietor; clerk’s office.
There are deeds on record in this book bearing date as late, as Oct. 24, 1788, several months after the organization of the town. This book was never deposited in the town clerk’s office, and is not generally known as forming any part of the records of the town. It is now in the collection of the Vermont Historical Society, in the State House at Montpelier, and is supposed to have been found among the papers of Ira ALLEN by Henry STEVENS, after which in some unexplained manner it came into the possession of M.B. CURTIS, proprietor of the Lake House, at Burlington, by whom it was presented to the Historical Society.
Although at that time the town had been many years organized and most of the lands had passed out of the hands of “the proprietors,” and the people were doing the town business and managing the public lands in their corporate capacity, and strictly in accordance with the charter of the town and the laws of the State, a proprietors’ meeting was warned by Stephen PEARL, a justice of the peace in the town of Burlington, Jane 20, 1804, to be held Aug. 19, 1804. Heman ALLEN was moderator — not the same, however, who was moderator of the first proprietors’ meeting’ at Salisbury, Ct., 30 years before, but Heman ALLEN, of Colchester, a nephew of the former, and of Ira ALLEN, the principal proprietor, and generally known as “Chili ALLEN.” There is no apparent recognition, by this meeting, of any previous proprietors’ meeting, and Hon. Alvah SABIN in an unpublished history of the town, *speaks of this as the “first proprietors’ meeting.” Reuben EVARTS was chosen clerk. This meeting was kept up by adjournments till the first Monday in March, 1807, when it expired without attendance, and the record-book was deposited in the town clerk’s office, Jan. 14, 1808, This book contains a certified copy of the original charter with a list of the grantees; a copy of the survey of the boundary lines of the town certified by James WHITELAW, surveyor-general of the State; a survey and description of every original lot with the contents expressed in acres and hundredths, without allowance for highways, certified by John JOHNSON , and the final apportionment of the several lots to the individual proprietors. The only business of general interest transacted at the meeting, or more properly, series of meetings, grew out of an attempt on the part of the late proprietors, to make and hold a fourth division “of the town, consisting of 68 lots of 49 acres each from the excess over 104 acres of the original lots.” This is the only recorded recognition of the original survey by a proprietors’ meeting. To accomplish this the town was entirely and very carefully re-surveyed, not after old survey-bills, but by tracing the old lines and the “overplus lots,” as they were called, were as far as practicable, made up at the corner where four lots came together; nevertheless most of them consisted of several small, or very irregular plots.
The whole scheme was of course obnoxious to the settlers and finally came to nought. There is a tradition that one law-suit grew out of the transaction. There is also a tradition that John JOHNSON, the eminent surveyor-general of the State, made the re-survey on the condition that his pay for the service should be dependent upon the success of the attempt to hold the overplus, but there is nothing on the records that would seem to verify this statement. — The result of the whole scheme, and the only real result, was that all the old lines ware reestablished and the town supplied with a very neat and complete chart to accompany the before-mentioned description of the several lots, all in the best style of that accomplished surveyor. It is said that in this respect Georgia excels all the other towns in this part of the State.
* A brief historical chapter, rather, compared with the papers of Mr. BLISS, but which Rev. Mr. SABIN by our invitation kindly and early prepared. Upon resuming our publication, however, which we had suspended during the war, Rev. Mr. SABIN having removed to the West, we gave the Mns. for Georgia, for counsel to our County Historian at St. Albans, who selected Mr. BLISS to complete the history for Georgia. Ed.
ORGANIZATION — TOWN MEETING, ETC.
The town was organized March 31, 1788. The town-meeting for that purpose was warned by John WHITE, assistant judge of the county of Chittenden, of which Georgia at that time formed a part. The warning was dated “Milton, March 12, 1788,” although judge WHITE was at the time a resident of Georgia. James EVARTS was moderator, Reuben EVARTS, clerk, Stephen DAVIS, Stephen HOLMES and Richard Sylvester, selectmen, Frederick BLISS, constable, Solomon GOODRICH and Abel PIERCE, haywards, William FARRAND, Noah LOOMIS and Stephen FAIRCHILD, surveyors of highways. Just enough business was done to organize the town — the town clerk took the oath of office nearly 2 months fitter, and -the selectmen not until about 3 months after the town-meeting.
At the second town-meeting held March 19, 1789, John WHITE was chosen moderator, Reuben EVARTS, town clerk, John WHITE, Stephen HOLMES and Francis DAVIS, selectmen, John WHITE treasurer, Titus BUSHNEL, constable, Nathaniel NARAMORE, Abraham HATHAWAY and John W. SOUTHMAYD. listers, Titus BUSHNEL, collector of town rates, Noah LOOMIS, grand juror, Stephen HOLMES, pound-keeper, Solomon GOODRICH, tythingman, Daniel STANNARD, hayward.
“The officers chosen are each sworn to their respective office, as the law directs.”
“Voted, that Stephen HOLMES’ yard be a pound for the town of Georgia, the ensuing year.”
“Voted, that the town raise forty shillings sin this years list, for to purchase books for said town’s use.”
The family of William FARRAND from Bennington, was the first to make a permanent settlement in this town. There had been many men without families here a portion of the year preceding that in which FARRAND moved here. There is no positive evidence of the date of FARRAND’s settlement, but it is believed to have been in the spring of 1785. At about the same time Andrew VAN GUILDER, from Egremont, Mass., came into town, and he has for many years been accredited with having made the first settlement; but there is indubitable evidence that to FARRAND is due the credit. FARRAND resided in the N. W. part of the town, and VAN GUILDER in the S. E., some 10 miles apart. FARRAND was present at the organization of the town in 1788, and was elected to office on that occasion. He was the first man to take the oath of allegiance to the State of Vermont, in Georgia, Feb. 23, 1789, but left town soon after. It seems that every man was required to take that oath, whatever may have been his position before he came here, or wherever he came from. There is no evidence that he acquired a title to real estate in the town. He quit-claimed his improvements on the governors’ right, to Reuben EVARTS, in a deed dated at Montreal, Feb. 5, 1801, He then resided at Lachine, Canada.
A son was born to him here, the first child born in town, and named by Ira ALLEN, Georgia FARRAND. ALLEN promised to give the boy a 100-acre lot of land; but there is no evidence that he did so, and it is inferred that this promise was unfulfilled, VAN GUILDER settled on the south side of Lamoille River, and owned all the intervale in this town — over 400 acres, some part of which remained in the hands of his descendants until quite recently. He was very eccentric, and is said to have been of Indian extraction.
Thomas, son of Abel PIERCE, born Dec. 4, 1787, was the second male born in town. He still resides here, and is generally spoken of as the first male born in town, a very natural error, since it is quite probable that the FARRAND child was removed from town about the time of PIERCE’s birth. Sally, daughter of Stephen FAIRCHILD. jr., acquired the reputation of being the first-born child in the same erroneous manner.
Whose was the third family that settled here is not now known; but tradition says that when Judge Frederick BLISS moved here, in the spring of 1786, there were three families in town who remained through the winter. It was customary for men to spend the summer here, and return during the winter to their homes in the southern part of this State, or in Massachusetts or Connecticut, and some quite large openings in the forest had been made and several buildings erected, It is probable that the buildings were only of logs, and covered with bark; as it is stated on undoubted authority that when Ruth CHAFFEE, wife of Solomon GOODRICH, died March 27, 1789, there were not boards enough in town to make a coffin, and there was no saw-mill to make them; whereupon, Thomas TERRENCE, a carpenter, felled a tree, split out suitable pieces, and with his broad-axe hewed them down into shape for a coffin.
JUDGE BLISS settled at the centre of the town, where he had the summer previous begun to clear his farm, on the lot of land west of the main road, opposite the white meeting-house, and the lot adjoining it on the north was subsequently given to his wife by her father, Capt. Stephen DAVIS. All of the village on the west side of the main road is on the land that he originally took up. He was the first constable in the town; was many years a selectman, and held first or last, nearly every town office. He represented the town in 1819, was 9 years a member of the Governor’s council; 12 years assistant judge of the county court, and 1 year judge of probate for Georgia district. He was of easy, quiet, unobtrusive habits, benevolent almost to a fault, beloved by all, and by all deferred to. He was the peacemaker of the town, the arbiter of all difficulties, and the promoter of every good cause. He was not ambitious of wealth or honors, yet both came to him to his heart’s content. He died childless, Nov. 8, 1827, aged 65 years.
Capt. Solomon BLISS, a younger brother, also married a daughter of Capt. DAVIS, and resided in the north part of the town, on the main mad to St. Albans. He almost constantly held some town office, and was twice chosen to represent the town in the legislature He had a large family of children, and on his son Solomon, jr., and grandson, Abel, have successively followed his official mantle. He married for his second wife, the widow of Edmund TOWN and mother of Hon. Alvah SABIN. He died Sept. 4, 1834, aged 65 years.
Abner, another brother of Frederick, settled on the farm adjoining his, on the south.
Shiverick WEEKS and young BLAIR, who married sisters of Judge BLISS, were among the earliest settlers, but of the date of their coming we have no authentic information.
In 1786, many persons commenced making farms, though few brought their families. Beside those already named, several of Judge BLISS’ brothers and sisters came with him, or immediately after, though it is believed that all did not come this year. They were, originally from the town of Western, now Warren, Mass., though some of them had for a while resided at Williamstown, Mass.
STEPHEN DAVIS, the father-in-law of Judge BLISS, was here this year, and did much toward clearing up and making a farm. He bought lands here and in Milton, but there is evidence that he did not at this time contemplate coming here to reside himself, but rather to provide homes for his sons. Hon. Alvah SABIN says that he moved here with his family this year, but that cannot be, for he was an active participant in the Shay’s Insurrection in Massachusetts, which did not take Place tin 1787.
Capt. DAVIS was a wealthy farmer and speculator in lands, rich for those days, and resided at Williamstown, Mass. He was energetic and obstinate, ready for such an enterprise as the Shay’s Insurrection, but the last to abandon it and when it was put down, notwithstanding his sympathizers stood by to defend him, he was arrested and put in irons, coupled to another, to be conveyed to prison for trial He, however, contrived to escape and took to the woods. He found his-mate too slow and feeble to keep up with him, and contrived to break loose from him. He then made his way here. The next winter he sent Abner BLISS to Williamstown to bring away his family and moveable effects. They came by way of Skeensborough, now Whitehall, and down the lake on the ice. Tradition says, that there was a “drove” of the horses and cattle, and that all were very fine animals, and in very high condition. Capt, DAVIS and his sons after him, practiced letting cows, oxen and sheep, to be returned with increase, or for a rental payable in labor; and in this way they not only aided many beginners in making and stocking their farms, but they were enabled to control sufficient labor to make more extensive improvements upon their own farms, than any others of the settlers.
They planted extensive orchards, and sold immense quantities of apples and cider; though we are unable to credit the oft-repeated tale, that Capt. DAVIS, in his life-time, made 200 barrels of cider a year, besides selling large quantities of apples; since his oldest trees could not have been over 12 or 14 years from the seed, at the time of his death.
They always had a large number of dependants about them, to whom they granted many favors, and over whom they exerted a very great influence. Their dislikes were quite as intense as their likes, when once aroused. Capt. DAVIS was respected in town, and elected to office on several occasions; but he never overcame his intense objection to paying taxes, that led him into the Shay’s rebellion. He was especially opposed to taxation for the support of preaching, or schools, and contributed largely, by his loud opposition, and dogged, and sometimes forcible resistance to the collection of such taxes, to the spirit of animosity that characterized the parties to that contest, to which allusion is made in the “Ecclesiastical History” of the town. At one time, aided by his son, Stephen, jr., armed with pitchforks, he defeated the collector in an attempt to seize property for taxes. The collector procured more assistance, and made the second attempt. When it became apparent that he would succeed, Capt. DAVIS announced his determination to go to jail-an alternative which the law at that time permitted the delinquent to choose — rather than have his property taken. Georgia was then in Chittenden Co., and the collector got up his team to carry him to Burlington, to jail. Meantime he put on his over-coat, and seated himself in a chair from which he would not arise. The collector, equal to the emergency, procured help, and loaded him, chair and all, into the sleigh, and took him to Burlington. On his arrival there, his numerous acquaintances flocked around him; and, for the first time in his life, he was persuaded to recant. He gave his note for the amount of the tax and costs, and came back with the collector. Of course he paid the note on his arrival at home, for that was a debt of honor — and no man was more scrupulously exact, when his word was given.
He died in 1801; and his wife, also, in 1802, leaving 3 sons and 5 daughters, who lived quiet and unobtrusive lives in this town and Milton. Their descendants, in considerable numbers, still reside here and in Milton.
In 1787, Reuben EVARTS, who had married a daughter of Heber ALLEN, moved into town. He settled in the N. W. part of the town, where several of his children and grandchildren still reside. He was the first town clerk, which office he held 7 years — the last proprietor’s clerk — and representative in 1796.
James EVARTS, his brother; also came this year. He bad bought lauds of Remember Baker, 12 years before, it being the first purchase of land ever made by an actual settler of the town.
He was the first representative in the legislature from this town. His son, Jonathan Todd EVARTS, still resides on the old homestead. Col. Benjamin HOLMES and his brother Stephen moved from Clarendon here this year. The “old white meeting house” was subsequently built on Col. HOLMES’ lot, and his house stood where Deacon John W. HINCKLEY’s now does. He opened a tavern at an early day, where most of the public business was transacted for several years. He and his wife, a sister of Shiverick WEEKS, familiarly known to everybody, in town at least, as “aunt Batty,” were well known for their benevolence and hospitality. They always visited the sick, and supplied the wants of the needy, and their doors were open and their tables spread for the poor wayfarer, as well as for those who had abundant means of paying. They were Baptists, and Col, HOLMES was ordained a deacon on the organization of that church, and is said to have been more efficient in conducting the affairs of the church, than the average of ministers. He represented the town 10 years, and was chosen to many important trusts. He died of heart-disease, Feb. 14, 1817, leaving 2 sons, Shiverick and Stephen. Shiverick was 4 years sheriff of this county, and now resides in Stockholm, N. Y.
The brothers, Noah, Elijah, Jonah and Enos LOOMIS, came from Clarendon in the spring of 1787. They were eight days on the way. Noah bought 600 acres of land here, and more in some of the northern towns. Elijah’s wife died some two or three years after their arrival here, and he soon after. He was the first person buried in the “Loomis Burying Ground,” and she was removed thither from the place where she had been first interred.
Stephen, the brother of Col. HOLMES, was a prominent citizen here, and held several important trusts, but subsequently removed to Fairfax, which town he several times represented in the legislature.
Roger E., a son of Elijah, died in Feb., 1868, aged 91. He was the oldest man in town, at the time of his death, He was the father of Rev. Harmon LOOMIS of New York. Their descendants still reside here.
JUDGE JOHN WHITE also came in 1787. How much he may have been here before does not appear. His family were residing near the high bridge; in Burlington, during the summer of 1787 ; but on the organization of Chittenden Co., Oct. 22, he was, appointed a judge, as “John WHITE of Georgia.” He was descended from a younger son of a wealthy contemporary of Gov. PENN, of Pennsylvania, and was born in Esopus, N. Y. He resided for a time at Arlington, and was an associate of the ALLENs and Remember BAKER.. He was a man of character and ability, making up for his want of education by habits of close observation, and the practice of a sound common sense. He was county judge in Burlington Co., from 1783 to 1787; in Chittenden Co. from 1787 to 1796, except 1793; and in Franklin Co. in 1796 and ’97. He was a member of two Councils of Censors of two Constitutional, Conventions; 3 years member of the General Assembly, 10 years a member of the Governor’s Council; and, during the 29 years of his residence in this town, almost always a town officer.
JOHH WHITE, JR., then a lad of 12 years, came with his father and as he afterward acted an important part in the history of the town and county, a notice of him may not be inappropriate in this place. He was a boy of studious habits, prosecuting with avidity any subject in which he became interested; yet, lacking the guidance of a master, and unable to procure just the books he would have chosen, his reading was desultory; as, indeed, were all his habits. It was nevertheless said of him, by the late Hon. Asa ALDIS, in whose office he read law for a short time, that he possessed a better general knowledge of the classics than any other person of his acquaintance, not excepting these who had been graduated at college. He was admitted to the bar of Franklin Co., but never entered upon the practice of the law. He was for some time deputy-marshal of the District of Vermont, under Marshal WILLARD, of Middlebury; was appointed county clerk, in 1805, and held the office, ’till his death, in the spring of 1807 and represented the town of Georgia in the legislature in 1805.
In 1804, the people of Georgia celebrated the anniversary of the national independence, in a manner becoming the most populous town in the northern half of the state; and Mr. WHITE prepared an ode, wrote out all the toasts, and delivered an oration, not only to the acceptance of the people, but of several “gentlemen from abroad.”
Never robust, his constitution became impaired by excessive application to study, and he was often quite feeble with incipient consumption. In a letter to Dr. Hira HILL, dated at East Guilford, Ct., Dec. 28, 1801, he says of himself:
“The old debility which long depressed
His genial spirit, and disturbed his rest,
Has gradually given way to change of air —
To luscious diet, and relief from care;
But those distortions which incurve the spine,
Defy e’en Thetis and the god of wine.”
In the spring of 1807, accompanied by his father, he left for another respite from care beside the rolling sea, in the hope to be benefited by the change of air; but he died on the way at Lee, Mass., where his remains lie interred.
Mr. WHITE wrote much, both in prose and verse, though we de not learn that he published much. We have before us a series of contributions to the “Wanderer,” a paper published at Randolph, written under the non de plume of “Tim Scribbler,” during the last year of his life. They are political articles referring to state and national affairs, end are possessed of much merit.
The following letter is interesting, as containing the whole history of the influences brought to bear, to secure the establishing of two post-offices:
‘”Georgia (Vermont) Jan, 26, 1805.
“To Judge Olin:
“Sir;-I presume that no apology, on account of the shortness of our acquaintance is necessary for thus approaching you to make a request proper to be granted, for the benefit of the State which you represent.
“The length of post -road, from Burlington to St. Albans, passing through the towns of Colchester, Milton and Georgia., on which the mail runs twice a week, is twenty-seven miles. The two last of these towns are large and populous, and continually increasing in numbers and business; yet there is no post-office nearer than Burlington or St. Albans-an inconvenience more and more felt by the inhabitants, by which they are nearly precluded the benefits, of that excellent institution. The route leading through the eastern towns in the counties of Addison, Chittenden and Franklin, is furnished with post offices within 8 or 10 miles of each other, where the population bears but a small proportion to ours.
“To give an opportunity for the ample diffusion of that share of public information which is a necessary prop of republican government, and to extend to us those equal advantages which the post-office establishment was intended to secure, we wish the establishment of a post-office in each of the towns of Milton and Georgia. Many reasons might be furnished in favor of the request; but the propriety of the measure must suggest itself from a simple view of the fact. From Burlington to Milton is 13 miles, thence to Georgia is 8, and thence to St. Albans is 6. Gen. Chittenden will be able to give any particular information which may be desired. I have not written to him; but he undoubtedly will be disposed to cooperate in a thing so reasonable, and entirely abstracted from all party concerns.
“Should it succeed, as the mail is already running on the route, the next question will be the appointment of post-masters. I have taken some pains to select the most proper persons for this purpose, and would nominate Abel BLAIR, for this town, and Thomas DEWEY, for Milton; they both live in the most central situations in their respective towns; are firm republicans, and men of integrity; have been consulted and are willing to accept of the appointment.
“If you will use your endeavor for the attainment of this object, and mention the above characters to Mr. GRANGER for post-masters, you will much oblige the people in this quarter, and render a service to the public, besides confering a particular obligation on
Your friend and very humble servant,
JOHN WHITE, JR.
AN ODE FOR INDEPENDENCE.
Sung at Georgia, July 4, 1804.
BY JOHN WHITE, JR.
When from the East our fathers came,
To settle on this western shore,
They fled from persecution’s flame,
And from the scourge of lawless power.
To here, retire from priests and kings,
They crossed the wide extended flood;
Where silent peace, with circling wings,
Might smile within the lonely wood.
Where earth, unstained by human gore,
And where no tyrant’s foot had trod,
They hoped their freedom to restore,
Their rights, and worship of their God.
But here, a race of savage men,
Uncultivated, wild and brave,
Lighted the torch of war again,
And sent their heroes to the grave.
Till armed at length by wild despair,
The little hand o’ercame the foe;
And fraught with industry and care,
The infant state began to grow.
Towns rose on every fertile plain;
And cities in the cultured vales;
While rising commerce o’er the main,
Displayed around, her whitning sails.
Then haughty Britain, fond of power,
Sent fleets and armies o’er the sea;
And strove in that eventful hour,
To bring us on the bended knee.
But firm in truth, and courage tried,
Each breast felt freedom’s manly flame;
And in one common cause allied,
They drove the invaders back with shame.
Still stronger grown, we feel secure,
Nor dread the powers of Europe now;
Our independence shall endure,
And to the Almighty only bow.
IN TIMES OF YORE.
In times of yore, our matrons wore
A neat and homely dress.
Pride, with her train of trappings vain,
Was banished with disgrace.
No tawdry show of belle or bean
Was from the gallery seen,
But nymph and swain appeared most plain
In habits neat and clean.
Each house well stored displayed a board
Of strong and healthy food,
Which flushed each face with ruddy grace
And warmed the fluent blond.
The lawyers then were honest men;
The courts wore short and few;
From farm or trade all debts were paid,
And nothing left to sue.
JOHN WHITE, JR.
AGRICULTURE AND INDUSTRY.
He who obeys the will of God,
Who tills the ground and break, the sod,
And cultivates the soil;
Blest is his basket and his, store;
Prosperity attends his door,
The product of his toil,
While from his cot his eye surveys
The gaudy fields of stately maize,
He scarce himself contains.
His heart elated thanks the Lord,
While rich profusion spreads his board
To compensates his pains.
Hail industry, thou friend of health,
A check to vice, and source of wealth,
Thy palaces are pure
From poverty’s distressing power,
From gout and spasms which devour,
Thy votaries are secure.
JOHN WHITE, JR.
STEPHEN FAIRCHILD, and his four sons, Stephen Jr., Daniel, Joel and Truman, came from Arlington, the same year, and settled on lands adjoining Judge WHITE’s on the north, and extending quite to the N. E. corner of the town. Judge WHITE’s wife was a daughter of Mr. FAIRCHILD. The FAIRCHILD family took an active part in all the affairs of the town, were good citizens, and left an honorable record. Several of Joel’s and Truman’s sons and daughters still reside in this town, St. Albans and Milton.
Joseph, William, Henry and James BALLARD, and Titus BUSHNELL, came from Tinmouth, and settled south of the centre, BUSHNELL’s farm lying next to Abner BLISS’s. Descendants of all these except William BALLARD, still reside in this town.
The brothers, Samuel, Abraham and James LAFLIN, also came this year, and their descendants still reside here.
MR. ELIJAH DEE.
BY REV. ALVAH SABIN
Mr. Elijah DEE, from Saybrook, Ct, came to town in 1787: but did not move his family here till 1791, for the following sketch of him and his son, Maj. Elijah DEE, we are indebted to Hon. Alvah SABIN.
He was a man of marked character; expressed his opinions in a confident manner, and dealt with sharp plainness with those that he thought deserved it. He was a man of strict integrity, and managed his affairs in a close and independent manner; and he himself was unshackled in all his deal with men. He died Dec. 24, 1827, aged 86. His wife, Miriam (JONES) died Jan. 26, 1845, aged 97.
His son, Elijah, jr., was a man of strong mind and of decided principles. He received a Major’s commission in the militia as early as 1808 He held the sane office is 1813, when the brigade was called into the service of the U. S., in the war of 1812. He was a brave and generous officer, and enjoyed the good will of all his soldiers; and, when ordered home by Gov. Martin CHITTENDEN, in November, 1813, he refused to go until he was discharged by authority of the United States. He was a Major in Gen. STRONG’s brigade of Vt. Volunteers, at the time of the battle of Plattsburgh.
His principles in relation to civil liberty were somewhat radical. He was opposed to a senate in a legislative body, on account of exerting an aristocratical influence on the popular branch He was opposed to the veto power, in the state or general government. He was a strong advocate of the common school system, but had his doubts as to academies and colleges; as be thought they created a higher class in society, and that they exerted an aristocratic influence, prejudicial to civil liberty and general equality. He maintained the doctrines of universal liberty, almost with the spirit of an aristocrat. He represented the town in the state legislature 9 years, and enjoyed the confidence of the people as fully as any man of his day. He was a mail of strong prejudices, but strictly honest in all his deal with his fellow-men. He was opposed to all temperance laws, because they infringed upon civil liberty. He was deistical in his religious views, and in the latter part of his life somewhat disposed to controversy, but he was fair in argument and gentlemanly in his language, and willing every man should enjoy his own opinion. He died respected by all who knew him, Sept. 9, 1842, aged 68.
BENJAMIN SABIN, from Williamstown, Mass., came to reside here in 1790 or ’91. In Jan., 1792, be was married to Polly, daughter of Robert MCMASTER, of Williamstown. He died May 11, 1796, aged 28, leaving a wife, and two sons, Alvah and Daniel, aged, one a little over 2 years, and the other about 6 months. The widow was married to Edmond TOWN, Nov. 7, 1797, and again left a widow, with 2 daughters, Aug. 24, 1800. She was married the third time to Capt. Solomon BLISS, by her son Alvah SABIN, a minister of the gospel, May 10, 1825, and the third time left a widow, Sept. 5,1834. She died Aug. 12, 1858, aged 88 years.
During the period of her second widowhood she cleared up her farm; erected a good set of farm-buildings; acquired a comfortable little property, and educated her sons for that sphere of usefulness that they have so nobly filled — affording to the world another illustration, that to the mother’s home-influence are the sons chiefly indebted for that training that fits them for the higher duties of life.
ELISHA BARTLETT, born in Middletown, Ct., Dec. 16, 1754, was the youngest son of a Congregational minister. Two of his brothers were surgeons in the army of the revolution. He enlisted under his brother, Capt. Samuel BARTLETT, for 1 year, some time in the autumn of 1775. He was under the immediate command of Washington during the whole of that eventful year, participating in the battles on Long Island, at White Plains, Trenton and Princeton, and in the skirmish at Haerlem. — He was also one of the party sent out to capture or destroy the British stores at Hackensack, marching 75 miles without rest. His term of service expiring at a critical time, it was voluntarily extended for some time. After his discharge he came to Bennington, and was a volunteer in the battle of Bennington, and was present, as a volunteer, at the surrender of Burgoyne. He removed to Sunderland, living a neighbor to Gen. Ethan ALLEN, in 1778. He removed hence to Charlotte, in 1783. He was constable and collector of Charlotte, in 1785; and we have before us the instructions accompanying his warrant for collecting the State tax. We have also his warrant as sergeant of the 2d company of the 2d regiment of the 6th brigade of Vermont militia, signed by Jonathan SPAFFORD, Esq. Colonel, and dated May 4, 1790.
He removed to Georgia in 1796, where he died, Sept. 29, 1855, aged 100 years, 9 months and 13 days, respected and beloved by all who knew him-his faculties scarcely impaired to the last. Two grandsons, Dr. H. O. and Samuel H. BARTLETT, are still residents of the town.
DANIEL STANNARD, the second representative in the legislature from this town, came from Fairhaven. His brother, Samuel STANNARD, jr., was the first trader in town, and was a man of influence, taking an active part in all town affairs. He was the father of the gallant Gen. George J. STANNARD, of Gettysburgh fame, the present collector of customs for the district of Vermont. He died at his residence on the mail road to, St. Albans, aged ___.
SOLOMON GOODRICH settled on the farm where Mahlon BALLARD now resides. His wife, Ruth CHAFFEE, was the first person buried in town. Allusion has elsewhere been made to the circumstance, that there were not boards enough in town to make her coffin.
The second person who was buried in town was Francis FERGUSON
FRANCIS FERGUSON was accidentally shot by a comrade, in a party who had assembled at Frederick BLISS’s, to “wake him up.” BLISS was the lieutenant of the militia company of which they were members, and the custom then prevailed of assembling on the morning of training-days, and going about to the houses of the officers to fire their guns, and accept the officers’ hospitalities. It was called “waking up officers.” The training was to have been at BLISS’s house, on that day. The people all assembled-but no training took place. FERGUSON lived about 4 hours-embraced and forgave PERRY, the comrade who shot him. He was buried on the GOODRICH farm, near where W. H. H. POTTER now resides.
Such was the impression upon the minds of the community, that for many years the custom of “waking up officers” was not resumed; and for several trainings not a gun was fired during the day.
The early settlers of Georgia were not exempt from the privations and sufferings incident to all new settlements at remote points, At first Whitehall or Vergennes were the nearest accessible points where grain was ground. — Plattsburgh was for some time the most accessible point in winter. In 1788, there was almost a famine. There had been a large influx of people, and but small crops, the previous season. — A yoke of yearling steers were sold for 3 bushels of wheat, and a veal calf for 3 pecks. Any thing that could sustain life was worth a price; and it has been remarked by one of the men of that day, that the man who had upon his farm a. good run of leeks was esteemed especially fortunate. One citizen took his wife’s gold beads, and, guided by marked trees, went on foot to. Gov. CHITTENDEN’s mill in Williston, and having exchanged them for a quantity of flour, returned with it by the same route, and the same, manner that he went, the journey occupying 3 days’ time.
Communication with the outside world was chiefly by the way of the lake, and on foot, or with ox-teams through the woods, with no pathway but marked trees. Judge WHITE moved from Burlington here by way of the Lake, and he must have traveled in getting to the lake at Burlington, and from it here, almost as far as to have come by land, had there been means for crossing the streams.
Among the earlier navigators of the lake and Champlain canal, were several Georgia men. Reuben, and Eben, and Reuben A. HURLBURT — (HALABIRD) and several members of the HILL family, were well-known and trusty commanders of sailing vessels, and pilots of steamboats.
Samuel STANNARD, jr., Bohan SHEPARD, bushnell B. DOWNS, Nathaniel B. and Nathaniel M. TORREY, Joseph and Joshua DOANE, James S. ALLEN, Hezekiah and Erbon WEAD, PRATT & WARNER, SKIFF & LOSEY. Lyman H. POTTER, ORCUTT & HOTCHKISS. Lorenzo JANES, Charles B. PINE, Albert BLISS and C. V. BLISS, have been the principal traders in Georgia: but there have been several others who have done business for short periods of time.
Manufactures have received but little attention. There have been 7 different grist-mills, 10 saw-mills, 6 carding and fulling-mills, with some facilities for manufacturing-1 oil-mill, 4 tanneries, and 2 wagon-shops. Lime was formerly made in large quantities; but wood having become scarce, and as the quarries are much farther from the R. R. than those in other towns, its manufacture has been abandoned since the opening of the railroad.
There are at present 2 grist-mills, 1 of which is inoperative most of the time for want of water, and the other a part of the time — 2 saw-mills; and 1 shop where wagons are repaired.
With an exuberant soil, and water communication with “the rest of the world,” the people of Georgia have found the cultivation of the soil both congenial to their tastes and, profitable; and although but few have become rich, in the modern acceptation of the term, none have necessarily failed to make a comfortable livelihood.
Like most communities possessing a rich virgin soil, the people of Georgia are not to be ranked among strictly good farmers. They have ever been content to reap good crops this year, and trust luck, rather than skilful farming, for a crop next year: and it must be conceded that the course has very much reduced the productive capacity of the soil.
Georgia has been the birth-place of quite a number of professional men, but never a liberal supporter of such. The names of those ministers who have been for any considerable time residents here may be found in the “Ecclesiastical History,” The ministers who were natives of Georgia, but not residents, since entering upon their profession, are: Dana LAMB, a notice of whom is appended; Harmon LOOMIS, Secretary of the American. Seaman’s Friend Society, of New York; Aaron M. COLTON, of Easthampton, Mass.; John FAIRCHILD, who went to Virginia many years ago; Daniel BLISS, President of the Mission College at Beyrout, Syria; Charles W. CLARK, of Charlotte; George H. CLARK, who died at St. Johnsbury; Orange SPOOR; Albert W. CLARK, of Gilead, Ct.; and John E. RANSLOW; all of whom are Congregationalists. Rev. Walter COLTON, for many years Chaplain in the U. S. Navy; Alcalde of Monterey, Cal.; and a popular author — although not a native of the town, came here in his second year, and is generally considered as such.
The following named Baptist ministers were born here: Alvah SABIN, Daniel SABIN, Paul RICHARDS and Joseph BALLARD.
ALVAH SABIN was gradated at Columbian College, in the District of Columbia, and preached at Cambridge, Westford, and Underhill; was settled at Georgia in 1825, and removed thence to Sycamore, Ill., in 1867, where he is still preaching at the advanced age of 76.
Daniel SABIN preached at Swanton, North Fairfax, and elsewhere in Vermont, but removed several years ago to Wisconsin. Mr. BALLARD resides in New York city, and is officially connected with some denominational publication, or benevolent society. Of Mr. Richards we have no information.
Wyman B. LOOMIS, who resides in Michigan; Henry A. BUSHNELL, of the Vermont Conference, and now located at Fairfax; and Joseph B. SYLVESTER, of the Troy Conference now on a charge in Clinton County, N. Y.; Dwight FAIRBANKS and Warren GODDARD, are Methodist Episcopal ministers who are natives of Georgia.
The first resident physician in Georgia, was Dr. NATHANIEL NARAMORE. He was universally esteemed, both as a physician and a citizen. He was the first lister elected in town. He did not, however, long remain here.
Dr. ABEL BLAIR came here at an early day, but we are unable to fix on the year. He married Adah, sister of Luman GRAVES, and returned to Williamstown, Mass., where he remained one year, thence removed to Butternuts, Otsego County, N. Y., where he resided one year, and then returned to Georgia. He was a successful practitioner, although not a graduate of any regular medical college; was the first post-master in town, which office be held many years, and was town clerk from 1809 to 1819. His son, Dr. Horace: P. BLAIR, his professional partner for several years, succeeded to his business. He still resides here, and visits in a sort of half-professional way a few families who claim him as their family-physician, although he retired from active practice more than 20 years ago.
Dr. HIRA HILL was here as early as 1796; was “surgeon’s mate” in Gen. STRONG’s brigade during the war of 1812, and signed the reply to Gov. CHITTENDEN’s proclamation; and represented the town in the legislature in 1815.
Dr. HERCULES WASHBURN was a native of Randolph, a man of most eminent ability, a learned and skillful physician, bat unfortunately for himself and the world at large, of intemperate habits. He married Sarah, daughter of James EVARTS, a highly intellectual woman of refined taste, but not well adapted to battle successfully with adverse fortune. He had many friends, but was so unstable that they dared not trust him, and he was frequently compelled to abandon the practice of his profession and resort to teaching for a livelihood. In this profession he was an adept, and in the district school or academy here or elsewhere, he always succeeded to the satisfaction of all. Indeed it is believed that as a thorough disciplinarian and an apt instructor, he has rarely, if ever, been excelled. His good qualities were positive; his bad ones at the worst — failings — negative qualities to be regretted — overlooked if possible — forgiven.
Dr. Jonathan TAYLOR resided here several years, and removed to Shelburne where he still resides, retired from practice.
Dr. Seneca E. PARK and Dr. Abraham HARDING, and probably others whose names we are unable to recall, have practiced here for short periods.
Dr. Nathan DEANE did an extensive business here for several years. He was town clerk in 1853 and ’54.
Dr. Heman O. BARTLETT, a native of the town, and Dr. Story N. GOSS, from Waterford, are the resident physicians at this time.
Dr. Roctus PARMALEE was graduated at Burlington and removed to Waterloo, P. Q., where he was for many years in the successful practice of his profession, which he finally abandoned, to some extent, to accept an important position in the department of public instruction where he has proven himself a competent and thoroughly efficient officer. Dr. John WOOD, Dr. Guy B. SHEPARD, of Michigan, Dr. Benjamin FAIRCHILD, of Milton, Dr. Joel FAIRCHILD, Dr. Uriah LAFLIN, Dr. Elijah LOOMIS, Dr. Gardner Q. CARLTON, of New York City, Dr. Franklin B. HATHAWAY, of Milton, Dr. James Y. GODFREY, of Flushing, L. I., Dr. Daniel M. JAMES, of Ohio, Dr. John J. COLTON, of Philadelphia, Dr. Dana I. JOCELYN, of St. Louis, Dr. HUNT and Dr. BOYDEN, who died in the service during the late war, were natives of this town.
Dr. Rufus K. CLARK, of South Hero, and Dr. Azro M. PLANT, of St. Albans, though not natives, were long residents of Georgia.
Few lawyers have resided in Georgia. Levi HOUSE represented the town in 1793; in 1796 he was appointed State’s Attorney, which office he held several years, moving meantime to St. Albans. Gardner CHILDS resided here a while. Judge Joel BARBER resided here several years; represented the town 3 years; was judge of the County Court, &c.; but subsequently removed to Fairfield. He was Judge of Probate after his removal to Fairfield, and there have bean several other lawyers here for short periods of time The following is an imperfect list of those lawyers who were natives of the town: Kilbourn SMEDLEY, Levi JOCELYN, Allen BARBER, Theodore BARBER, Hiram B. SMITH, Douglas A. DANFORTH, David Blair NORTHUP, Horace JOHNSON, Hubbell B. BOGUE, Guy H. PRENTISS, Lucas R. STANNARD, James A. KENNEDY, Geo. A. BALLARD, Samuel W. DORMAN, Albert B. PARMALEE, Oscar E. LEARNERD, Charles C. COLTON, Jeremiah EVARTS, of Illinois, Edwin C. SEARLE, Judge Ira WITTERS, of Chittenden County, and Judge John M. HOTCHKISS, of Lamoille County, were natives of Georgia.
REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIERS, ETC.
Of the early settlers of Georgia, several had been engaged in the war of the Revolution, and several others had taken a somewhat active part in the contest for the independence of the “New-Hampshire Grants.” William POST was in the battle at Hubbardton, and was taken prisoner, but escaped. A notice of Elisha BARTLETT occurs elsewhere. Fredrick CUSHMAN was in the battle of Bennington. Among those who were honored as pensioners within the recollections of the writer, were Joseph STANNARD, Ethiel SCOTT, Abel PARKER and Abel PIERCE.
In the war of 1812, this town contributed its full proportion of men. A militia company of mounted men was called into service from this county at an early day, and went to Plattsburgh, where they were in active service for some two or three months. They were chiefly employed in conveying dispatches, and on escort duty. At one time the members from this town were sent to escort a British flag of truce to French Mills, at that time Gen. WILKINSON’s head-quarters. Of that company, Abner BLISS and Osmond LAMB still reside in town. When the Vermont militia was called into service in 1813, this town contributed a small company under the command of Capt. Jesse POST. Elijah DEE, Jr., was Major, and Hira HILL, Surgeon’s Mate — and signed the reply to the proclamation of the Governor, ordering them to return to their homes, refusing to comply until regularly discharged by the United States authorities. Some of the Georgia men enlisted in Col. CLARK’s rifle regiment of Volunteers, among them Alvah SABIN, whose connection with the “Gates affair” forms a part of the “History of St. Albans.” On the first Tuesday of September, 1814, there was an alarm that roused every citizen. The British were moving on Plattsburgh, by land and water. At the close of the Freeman’s Meeting, teams were provided and all set out for the Sand Bar, a fording place from the S. W. part of Milton to South Hero. It was after dark when they arrived at- The Bar,” but nothing daunted, they undertook the formidable task of groping their way across. The wagons became entangled among the snags and the men were obliged to get into the water up to their waists, and sometimes to their arm-pits, to extricate them. When about half way over there was an alarm, several men insisting that the British barges were coming. All were ordered to halt, form in line as nearly as practicable, load their muskets and prepare to receive the enemy. But no enemy came, and after a short delay they proceeded, reaching the west shore of the island the next day, when they, were organized into a company, with Elijah DEE, Jr., for captain, Jesse POST, lieutenant, Seymour EGGLESTON, ensign, and Alvah SABIN, orderly sergeant. After much delay, boats or bateaux were sent from Plattsburgh and all were ferried over. Here, as men continued to arrive, a new organization was effected and Elijah DEE, Jr., was made major, Jesse POST, captain, and Alvah SABIN, orderly sergeant, as before. A new enrolment was made by Sergt. SABIN on the top of a high horse-block in the street. The roll was called two or three times, when it was lost and never rewritten. The men were marched down to the Fort and supplied with arms until the supply was exhausted. The “Green Mountain Boys” were known by the sprig of evergreen in their hat-bands. The battle took place on Sunday, Sept. 11th, and by Thursday evening the Georgia men were, all at home again, without having taken any very active part in the battle or suffered any casualties.
During the Canadian Rebellion of 1837, a company of militia from this town was in service on the frontier a short time under the command of Capt. CALDWELL.
The town contributed its proportion of men for the suppression of the Rebellion of 1861, and several of the first young men of the town were killed, or died in Southern prisons of wounds, or from diseases contracted while in the service. We exceedingly regret that want of time compels us to pass over this part of the history of the town thus cursorily.*
*And the Editor and projector or this work had assigned the military department of the County to another contributor — to one man, whose one care should be to thus prepare a more complete and comprehensive paper on this interesting branch of our history, and leave the town historian more time and a better opportunity to trace and follow out his search for the things of the past and the earlier day, from which the more stirring and shifting scenes of our late grand historic period would but divert. See Military Chapter — this volume-by Warren Gibbs.
1788 to ’95, Reuben EVARTS; 1795 to 1809, Luman GRAVES; 1809 to ’19, Abel BLAIR; 1819 to ’20, Roswell HUTCHINS; 1820 to ’34, Ira HINCKLEY, jr.; 1834 to ’37, Solomon BLISS, jr.; 1837 to ’50, Lorenzo JONES; 1850 to `53, Augustus H. BLAIR; 1853 to ’55, Nathan DEANE; 1855, Curtis M. POST.
1788, James EVARTS; 1789-’92, Daniel STANNARD; 1790 ’94, 1800, John WHITE; 1791, ’95,’97,1801,’03,’04,’09,’10,’12,’13, Benj. HOLMES; 1793, Levi HOUSE; 1796, Reuben EVARTS ; 1798, Stephen FAIRCHILD, jr.; 1799, 1802, Francis DAVIS; 1805, John WHITE, jr.; 1806, ’07, 08, Sardius BLODGETT; 1811, ’14; ’21, ’22, ’24, ’28, ’29, ’36, ’37, Elijah DEE, jr.; 1815, Hira HILL; 1816, ’17, Solomon BLISS; 1818, ’33, ’34, no election; 1819, Frederick BLISS; 1820, ’25 ’27, Joel BARBER, jr.; 1823, ’41, Ira HINCKLEY; 1828 ’65,’38, ’40, ’47, ’48, ’49, ’51, ’61, ’62, Alvah SABIN; 1830, ’31, Decius R. BOGUE; 1832, ’43, ’44, Solomon BLISS, jr.; 1839, William K. Warner; .1842, Lorenzo JONES; 1845, ’48, ’50, Isaac P. CLARK; 1852, David P. CLARK ; 1853, Reuben S. SHEPARD; 1854, ’55, Cyrus HOTCHKISS ; 1856, Geo. W. RANSLOW; 1857, ’58, Moses WIGHTMAN; 1859, ’60, Curtis M. POST; 1863, ’64, Hiram H. HALE; 1865, Benjamin F. SABIN; 1866, ’67, Abel BLISS; 1868, Joseph PURMORT.
1791-340; 1800-1068; 1810-1760; 1820 -1703; 1830-1897; 1840-2106; 18502688; 1880-1547 [*There was an error In the census of 1860, a new enumeration made by order of the town showing the true number to be 16I7.]
1791, ’93, John WHITE; 1814, Frederick BLISS; 1822, ’28, ’36, Elijah DEE, jr.; 1843, ’50, Alvah SABIN.
STATE AND COUNTY OFFICERS
COUNCIL OF CENSORS. — 1792, ’99, John WHITE.
GOVERNOR’S COUNCIL — 1793-’97, 1801-’05, John WHITE; 1807-‘11, ’15-’18, Frederick BLISS.
COUNTY JUDGES. — (Chittenden Co.) 1787 -’92, ’94, ’95, John WHITE. Franklin Co., 1796, ’97, John WHITE; 1804-’12,’15-’17, Frederick BLISS; 1824-’31, Joel BARBER, jr.; 1838, Seymour EGGLESTON; 1846-50; Alvah SABIN.
SHERIFFS. — 1817-’20, Shiverick HOLMES; 1833, ’34, Seymour EGGLESTON; 1839-’42, Decius R. BOYNE.
PROBATE JUDGES.-1813, Frederick BLISS.
REGISTER OF PROBATE. — 1810-’13, ’16, Francis DAVIS.
COUNTY CLERK.-1805-’06, Jno. WHITE, jr.
U. S. DEPUTY MARSHALL. — John WHITE, jr.
STATE’s ATTORNEY. — 1796-1803, Levi HOUSE.
SENATORS. — 1841 ’43-’45, Alvah SABIN [Elder SABIN says he was senator five years. I have not the time to review the list now, but I think he is mistaken.]; 1860, ’61, Cyrus HOTCHKISS.
SECRETARY CF STATE.-1841, Alvah SABIN.
MEMBER OF CONGRESS. — 1853-’56, Alvah SABIN.
COUNTY COMMISSIONER. — 1861, 62, Alvah SABIN.
COLLECTOR OF CUSTOMS DISTRICT OF VERMONT. — Gen. George J. STANNARD.