Georgia Historical Society last program for 2019:

Howard Coffin historian and a regular on WCAX Across The Fence returns for the 2nd time this year for another presentation “1800 Froze To Death: The Cold Year of 1816″ Wednesday, October 23 – 7:00 PM Georgia Public Library ” Handicap Accessible”

Past GHS Programs:

GHS Program “Story Swap” June 19, 2019

GHS Program “Sugaring” July 31, 2019 


DSC_5663 The Georgia Historical Society (GHS) was started in 1975. Its purpose is to promote knowledge and appreciation for the history in Georgia, VT by collecting, preserving and sharing Georgia memorabilia.

From the 1973 Georgia Town History:

Brick School in Georgia to serve as museum after 14 – year recess.  Once again the doors of the brick school on route 7 in this village are going to open.  After having served some 60 years or more as first a one-room school, housing eight grades, then as a one-room school for the first four grades, it became obsolete and for past 14 years the doors have been locked. Now, through the vision and generosity of its owner, Stanley Webster, the building is being given to the town.  Members of the town Ruritan Club, a service group, are donating their time and talents to restoring the building which is to become a Museum.

From the 1975 Georgia Town History:

At the completion of each years work on the Annual Town History there has been talk of forming a town Historical Society.  At the last meeting for the 1974 issue, it was revived again.  With the collective enthusiasm of the members and the organizational abilities of Peter Mallett our first meeting was held at the Fellowship Room of the Methodist Church on March 14, 1975.  Coincidental is the fact that exactly 196 years earlier, on March 14, 1789, Vermont became a state. (Our town had been chartered 26 years earlier.)  At this time, we decied to accept the monumental task of compiling , collecting, coordinating and seeking bits and pieces of history of the town of Georgia, both tangible and intangible. Our first order of business was the election of officers and committees, as follows:  President – H. Hale Nye, Vice-President – Peter S. Mallett, Secretary – Dolores L. Paulman, Treasurer – Floyd Brooks.  Bylaws and Constitution were compiled by Elsie Jung and Ethan Newton: a Bicentennial committee with Edmund Wilcox and Kenneth Grenier; a committee to arrange a part in the 4th of July parade consisting of Edmund Wilcox, Ray Paulman and Lilian Morgan; Trustees are Josephine Webster, Chris Grimes, and Edmund Wilcox.


Would you like to see some of those treasured artifacts that Georgia has been holding? Visit the Brick School Museum located on Ethan Allen Highway – just across from the new Georgia Fire Station. An exhibition of these treasures will be shown for the entire summer season from July 11th through September 26th, Saturdays, from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.